The Centre de la photographie Genève is launching in 2023 a new mentoring programme for artists and photographers in 2023, aiming to support them in the development of a project. This format is based on a 1:1 mentorship where an artist supports another artist in the development and realisation of an ongoing project. The mentorship takes the form of four meetings, either in person or online, over a period of six months, from May to October 2023.
The programme is open to any professional artist or photographer (including self-taught) who is not, during the period of the mentorship, enrolled in another mentorship programme or academic course (including art or photography school) and who speaks one of the following languages: French, English, Italian, Spanish, Catalan, Arabic, German, Farsi.
Each of the eight mentors will choose a project they wish to support from the pool of applications, based on the artist’s expectations and the support they feel they can provide to the artist. Those selected for mentoring will receive a sum of CHF 500 at the end of the programme to support the development of their project.
Conditions for participation
Applications will be open from 6 to 27 April 2023. Application to the programme is free.
Applications can be made only through the online application form.
Artists and photographers of any age and nationality, based in any country, can participate provided they meet the following criteria:
- Have a project in progress, i.e. already started but not yet completed.
- Not be enrolled in another mentoring programme or academic course during the mentoring period (May to October 2023)
- Speak at least one of the following languages, sufficiently to be able to conduct discussions in that language: French, English, Italian, Spanish, Catalan, Arabic, German, Farsi.
- Commit to being available for four meetings, in person or online, during the mentoring period (no extension possible).
- Fill in the application form clearly and in full, including sending the description of the current project, by 27 April 2023.
- Agree to have their name and project information shared within the context of the programme.
The artists and photographers selected by the mentors will be contacted in early May. Applicants cannot give a preference for one particular mentor, and mentors agree not to select the project of a person with whom they already have a significant relation. Apart from this criterion, mentors do not have to justify their choice of project.
The project support amount (CHF 500) will be paid out at the end of the mentoring period (after the 4th meeting). There is no need to justify the use of this amount.